Say hello to a keto friendly chicken salad made with avocados instead of mayonnaise! This quick and easy avocado chicken salad makes it easy to maintain ketosis without the heavier fats and red meat that are often associated with the keto diet.
Full of healthy avocado fat and crisp veggies, this refreshing salad will have you coming back again and again. Plus, with several optional alterations or additions to the recipe, this versatile avocado chicken salad will have you saying goodbye to salad fatigue for good!
Keto Friendly Avocado Chicken Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories: 531 / Fat: 27g / Protein: 60g / Carbs: 11g
Avocado Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 16 oz Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Avocado, chopped
- 1 c Shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 1/4 c Onion, chopped
- 1/2 c Cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 t Balsamic Vinegar
Avocado Chicken Salad Instructions
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with a bit of oil and cook chicken until golden, about 5 minutes on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit inside.
- Remove chicken from heat and cover with tin foil to retain moisture.
- In a bowl combine, avocado, onion, cucumber, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and romaine lettuce.
- Shred chicken and add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Toss salad and serve immediately.
How Long Will Chicken Salad Last?
We have doubts that you’ll have any leftovers of this delicious avocado chicken salad, but if you do, it can be stored in an airtight container for up to about 3 days in the refrigerator. You notice though that even a semi robust lettuce like romaine will start to wilt, particularly if stored after the entire salad has already been dressed.
If you ask us, it’s best to just gobble it all up at once, or store the prepared ingredients separately for an easy toss-together salad that’s perfect for when you’re busy with errands, meetings, or, well—life!
DISCOVER: Foods To Avoid While In Ketosis
Is Chicken Salad Good for Losing Weight?
Salad is a natural go-to for anyone on a weight loss journey, and putting this keto friendly avocado chicken salad into the rotation is a great idea. Since you’re adding in the avocado—increasing the good fat content while still maintaining a lower-calorie, low carb lunch or dinner—this chicken salad can help you stay fuller longer to stave off midday hunger pangs and stay in ketosis.
Is Chicken Salad Keto Friendly?
This avocado chicken salad is totally keto friendly. When you break it down by ingredient, essentially everything that goes into this salad is on your keto friendly grocery list. But let’s examine it a little further to see what makes this avocado chicken salad such a great keto meal.
- Chicken: There has been some debate over whether or not chicken is keto friendly, but it is absolutely an option on a keto diet. It’s a good idea to either opt for darker thigh meat that contains more fat, or add something like avocado to a leaner cut of chicken like the breast in this keto friendly chicken salad.
- Avocado is the king of keto! Keto beginners will learn that avocados add delicious, healthy fat with creamy, richness to any recipe.
- Lettuce, onions, and cucumbers also find themselves on the low carb end of the veggie spectrum.
- Both olive oil and balsamic vinegar also work for keto being a healthy fat and keto friendly dressing full of dynamic flavor.
What Are Some Keto Friendly Toppings for Chicken Salad?
On top of being keto friendly as is, this avocado chicken salad is completely customizable.
Add even more crunch and flavor with extra veggies like celery, jalapenos, carrots, bell peppers, or pickles.
Try a shake of red pepper flakes or cilantro, or a squeeze of lime or lemon juice to add some zing.
Bust out the bacon for an even heartier, fattier version of this yummy salad.
How about stuffing the entire salad inside a hollowed out tomato for an even bigger low carb veggie hit!
What other ways can you see to mix things up with your new avocado chicken salad?
Looking for more delicious recipes and health insights? Bookmark our System Recipes page and follow us on social media for the latest and greatest from Xyngular!