Typically when we think of a chicken salad, we think of shredded chicken, doused in mayo, and served on a croissant or roll. As delicious as that may be, it’s not all that healthy, and it’s definitely not low carb. Enter the Xyngular chicken salad. This easy low carb chicken salad is a tasty green salad with flavorful grilled chicken and a special homemade Xyngular salad dressing.
Low Carb Chicken Salad with Homemade Dressing
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories: 127 / Fat: 4g / Protein: 15g / Carbs: 7g
- 6 ounces Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Raw Arugula
- 2 Cups Green Leaf Lettuce, Shredded
- 2 Sweet Red Peppers, Chopped
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Water
For the Chicken:
- Rub chicken with 1 minced garlic clove and place it in the refrigerator on a plate or in a plastic bag to marinate for about one hour
- Prepare the dressing below
- When the chicken is done marinating, spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium
- Sauté the chicken about 4-5 minutes and sprinkle with pepper
- Flip the chicken and sauté until done (about 4-5 minutes)
- Remove chicken from heat and slice
- On a large plate or in a large bowl, combine the lettuce and arugula
- Top with the chicken and dressing
For the Dressing:
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit
- Spread chopped peppers, onions, and two cloves of minced garlic on a sheet pan with sides
- Drizzle with olive oil, and roast in the oven for 25 minutes
- Add rosemary, chicken broth, and water to the roasted vegetables pan
- Cover everything with tin foil and roast for an additional 20 minutes
- Add your roasted ingredients to a food processor with the red-wine vinegar and puree it until smooth
Does Chicken Salad Have Carbs?
The number of carbs chicken salad has in it is entirely dependent on the ingredients in the chicken salad. The recipe for this homemade chicken salad has been designed to make it low carb and Keto friendly.
Can I Eat Chicken Salad on Keto?
If we’re talking about this healthy low carb chicken salad, then YES! The chicken salad carbs in this Xyngular chicken salad are minimal at just seven grams per serving. That’s because we’ve eliminated things like croutons, replaced heavy dressings with chicken salad with vinegar dressing, and taken out other add-ins that tend to be carb heavy. So go ahead and eat your heart out without worrying about wrecking your Keto diet.
What is the Lowest Carb Lettuce?
Lettuce in general is one of the lowest carb veggies out there. Even then, some lettuce is better than others. Arugula is the champion of low carb foods. With only one gram of carbs in every cup, plus a ton of vitamins and other beneficial nutrients, it wins. Iceberg lettuce is a little light on some of the other nutrients, but it is low on carbs with only 2 grams in every cup. Romaine lettuce, spinach, and kale are also great low carb options with between 1.5 and 4 grams of carbs in every cup.
What Makes Salad Unhealthy?
It’s easy to take a salad from healthy to loaded with fat and calories without even realizing. A healthy salad recipe is all about what you put in it. When you start adding things like candied nuts or lots of fatty dressings, that’s when salad becomes unhealthy. Keep it simple with plenty of vegetables and keep dressings and other mix-ins to a minimum to really get the most benefit from your green meal.
What’s the Difference Between Low Carb and Keto?
Keto and low carb are both great options, it’s simply a matter of selecting the one that best fits your lifestyle. If you like chicken, fish, and vegetables, then a low carb diet may be right for you. If you’re more into beef, eggs, and cheese, you may want to try a Keto diet. For a better overview of the differences and similarities, check out this article on the difference between low carb and keto meal plans. Or if you want a deeper dive into the subject, see The Ultimate Guide to Understanding Keto Vs Low Carb Diets.
If you like this easy low carb chicken salad with homemade dressing, you’ll want to check out our Low Carb Steak Chimichurri with Tomato Salad and our Grilled Skirt Steak with Greek Salad. And we have lots of other Xyngular jumpstart recipes here. And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for more great Xyngular recipes, tips, and Xyngular product announcements.