Remember when Ron Swanson requests that his waiter bring him “all the bacon and eggs” that he has? At the start of your keto diet, you may have felt the same hungry enthusiasm for the deliciously traditional American breakfast! But after a week or two…? Most of us find ourselves craving something—anything—besides an egg for breakfast.
The good news is that there are plenty of delicious keto breakfast ideas. Even those that include zero eggs. ;) Read on for some of our favorite keto-friendly breakfast foods, as well as some to avoid, in order to make the most of your most important meal of the day!
WHAT CAN YOU EAT FOR BREAKFAST ON KETO OTHER THAN EGGS?
Welcome to the world of Keto Breakfast Ideas: The No Eggs Edition!
While eggs are a great source of protein and nutrients, perfect for a keto breakfast, variety is the spice of life and we’re all about integrating new ingredients into our meals to keep things interesting as well as healthy!
Consider mixing some of these keto-friendly ingredients into your morning meals to start the day off right with the perfect keto breakfast:
- Low-sugar breakfast sausage
- Smoked salmon
- Cream cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Green peppers
- Chia seeds
- Macadamia nuts
- Natural peanut butter
- Xyngular’s Lean
BEST KETO BREAKFAST IDEAS
While some of our favorite keto breakfast ideas do actually contain eggs, we’ve been careful to curate a great keto breakfast menu that doesn’t have eggs front and center in any of the dishes. Often they’re used as a good binder, but the recipes do allow the other ingredients to shine while adding healthy variety to your keto meal plan.
- Grilled tuna cakes are a wonderful source of protein and the perfect vehicle for a delicious mayo-based dipping sauce to add fat to your breakfast. Add flavor with lemon pepper or cayenne to keep things interesting.
- Try cauliflower patties which are full of cheese to bind them together and add more protein and fat to this keto breakfast idea.
- Make your own flaxseed wraps to hold a fresh keto breakfast full of crisp lettuces, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Add a creamy dill sauce to really put your wrap over the top.
- Spice things up with a sausage and pepper breakfast bake that, again, uses cheese to bind instead of the eggs we’re looking to avoid for now.
- Prosciutto-wrapped asparagus is growing in popularity with keto dieters and is quick and easy to whip up on a grill or in a saute pan.
- For a sweeter, splurge-worthy keto breakfast, try cloud bread pancakes topped with natural peanut butter or whipped heavy cream and berries.
- Another “indulgent” option is chia seed pudding made with coconut or almond milk and sweetened with the tiniest bit of honey and a squeeze of lemon, cubed cantaloupe, or raspberries, and a few macadamia nuts...yum. It’ll feel like dessert for breakfast, without the carb load guilt!
- An awesome on-the-go keto breakfast idea is our own Peanut Butter Lean Shake that’s packed with protein and perfect for those rushed mornings.
- You can even opt for a fast food keto breakfast by choosing certain steak or burrito bowls as long as you skip the added rice and beans.
CAN YOU DRINK MILK ON KETO?
Traditional cow’s milk contains plenty of sugar, which is a big no-no on the keto diet. That said, if you’re looking for low-sugar, high-fat varieties of cow’s milk in very small quantities (like a splash in a cup of coffee now and then), you should be okay! If you can switch that milk to half and half or straight heavy cream, even better.
The same warnings that come with milk on keto go for other milk-based products like yogurt and cottage cheese. You’ll need to check nutrition labels to ensure that what you’re choosing fits into keto’s very high fat, very low carb parameters. Remember, remaining in ketosis requires dietary diligence!
Which Milks are Best on a Keto Diet?
Switching from cow's milk to other types of milk while on the keto diet is a good idea. Searching out lower-carb beverages can only help lead to success in reaching and maintaining ketosis.
Again, you’ll want to be diligent in checking nutrition labels on your alternative milk but here are a few suggestions for which milks are best on a keto diet.
- Macadamia nut milk—expensive but essentially carb-free!
- Almond milk—very common and easy to find, inexpensive compared to other options.
- Cashew milk—typically just two carbs per cup of cashew milk.
- Coconut milk—one of the higher carb options so use it sparingly!
- Flaxseed milk—another very low-carb milk option, also full of omega 3s.
- Soy milk—get the unsweetened kind for lower carb content, also packed with protein making it a great keto breakfast idea.
BREAKFAST FOODS TO AVOID ON KETO DIET
Anything involving high carb, sugar, or starch content—steer clear!
Plenty of Western breakfast foods fall into these anti-ketosis categories. Foods and beverages that you should avoid when creating your best keto breakfast include (but are certainly not limited to) things like:
- Pancakes & muffins
- High carb fruits like mangos, grapes, and bananas
- Bread & bagels
- Sweetened yogurts
- Overly processed breakfast meats
- Sugary juices and coffees
It may feel like a long list, and it will honestly take some getting used to just to root out these traditionally carb- and sugar-laden breakfast foods. But don’t worry—there are plenty of delicious keto breakfast ideas to refer back to if you ever feel like you’re in a keto breakfast idea rut.
IS THERE A GOOD WAY TO SUPPLEMENT A KETO BREAKFAST?
Xyngular’s X Advanced™ kit contains 11 proven products that work together to help you achieve maximum weight loss and overall wellness. The supplement plan includes products designed specifically to suppress appetite, increase energy, curb cravings, manage already-healthy blood sugar levels, and increase your overall wellbeing. X Advanced also includes our nutrient-rich snack shake Lean™, which is perfect for creating some of our best keto breakfast ideas.*
Adding Xyngular’s X Advanced to your keto diet journey will not only help keep you on track with a keto-specific diet plan, but will also introduce you to the Xyngular community—family, really—which proves to be an incredible resource for information, support, and recipe ideas to use while on your keto journey!
Contact your Xyngular rep today to learn more about our X Advanced kit and follow us on social media for more great information and recipes!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.